I’ve been having such a wonderful time working on my quilt for the Tea Towel Challenge hosted by Victoria Findlay Wolfe at 15 Minutes of Play. It’s still on my design wall and I really like the direction it’s taken:
I flipped the first border of half square triangles (HSTs) so that the solid black fabric edges the towel. I no longer need the polka-dot trim to separate the towel from the border.
I also decided to add more colors to the border of made fabric. I went digging into my stash and I had a rainbow of mottled solids leftover from a baby quilt – perfect! I chopped off random sizes of triangles from the fabric and used them as the centers of the floating triangle blocks. It makes the quilt so playful, just what I want on my sewing room wall!
Next came the embroidery on the towel pennants which I blogged about here.
I was going to applique “my studioQ” (what I call my sewing room) on the base of the sewing machine with made multi-colored fabrics. So I printed out some possible letters and auditioned them:
- left pic – Yikes, those applique letters sure over power the quilt! Try something else
- center pic – I tried other fonts on my computer, papyrus looked the closest to the lettering on the towel. I moved the paper letters further to the right, to cover the printed name of the towel’s designer, and traced the letters onto the towel.
- right pic – I embroidered the words but “my studio” was too dark or prominent for me. I clipped them off (much easier than ripping a seam out). I was going to re-embroider them with only one strand of floss but I like it with just the large Q. It’s like an abbreviated nickname for my sewing room.
They just reminded me of a jester’s harlequin costume! Another reason I didn’t like them was that they were too perfect for the “feel” of this quilt. I wanted something less precise. It dawned on me that I could use the remaining colored triangles I had cut to make wonky HSTs. I’ll share how I make them on my next and hopefully final blog!
I’m off to play!